23 August, 2009

Bears..Bears...Everywhere Bears

WOW! I have never had a summer with so many bear sightings as this one.

I was walking again this morning...have taken to wearing a whistle when I walk. Don't know why...guess it just makes me feel a little safer. I like to do a 2-1/2 mile power walk that takes me by a few houses and a golf course, but there is a stretch of road, the road I live on where there are no houses, just woods.

About a month ago I came really close to a large black bear that walked out of the woods onto the road about 100 yards in front of me. I was truly taken aback by it. I don't think the bear ever saw me as I stood perfectly still for a very long time. It finally crossed the street and wandered back into the woods. I waited about five more minutes before continuing my walk. I could see the bear in the woods so as I walked (very quickly, I might add) I just kept looking back over my shoulder. Thus....the decision to carry a whistle.

Well today as I was walking...I saw a bear cross the road onto our property. I was further away from this one, but when I got to the point where I had seen him cross I blew the whistle, just in case he was still there...I wanted to let him know I was coming. LOL! Of course my husband (who was outside at the time) told me when I got home that he never heard me blow it. Hmmm...maybe I should rethink this whole whistle thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment